Friday, March 29, 2013

White Privilege


White privilege as defined by Wikipedia: refers to societal advantages that white people are argued to benefit from beyond those commonly experienced by people of color in the same social, political, or economic spaces (nation, community, workplace, income, etc). Our discussion in class was very awkward at first because in every class at Rhodes, even this one, there are more white students than there are black and for the white students to have to sit and think about how they are privileged was something that very rarely happens. Like Dr. J said, it is a whole a lot easier to talk about how a group of people are oppressed and discriminated against so to have to look at it from a different perspective was something that I was not used to. Most people are used to the idea of affirmative action or white burden and how they are trying to make up for white privilege. I guess since I come from a household of black and white I never really grew up with race. I mean my parents just taught me to love all people and race never became something that was relevant until I reached about the 6th grade. In middle school I started to notice white privilege more often. White students never had to worry about getting in trouble for cheating or being accused of stealing or even having their phone taken away for having it out in class. In some classes it was obvious that the teachers treated the white students better, but in others we were all just students trying to get an education. Throughout my college decision process looking for a place where I knew everyone was going to be seen as equals in the eyes of professors was something that was very important for me. Rhodes gave me that vibe, but out of all of my colleges I had to choose from Rhodes was also the most diverse. Which is honestly kind of sad because this Philosophy of Race class is the one class where it’s not just me or me and another person of color in it.
            White privilege is something we all live with and acknowledge, but it is a lot easier to admit to being the oppressed than the oppressor. Not saying that all white people are oppressors but white people clearly benefit from the history of being the oppressor.

1 comment:

  1. What I thought was interesting about our discussion in class (or rather, our listing out of all the privileges that white students at Rhodes have) was that the white students were, for the most part, the ones listing the privileges. I think that Dr. J was getting frustrated with us because we were having trouble listing a bunch of privileges, but I don't think anyone was being shy- it is just in the nature of having the privileges that you don't realize you have them. I feel as if the black students in the class might have had a better grasp of white privilege at Rhodes, and perhaps some of the awkwardness stemmed out of that situation... I'm not entirely sure. Regardless, I liked the exercise and it certainly brought up privileges that I never even knew existed for me or others at Rhodes.

    ReplyDelete