Friday, March 8, 2013

Subjective Identification: Kings and Queens


I don't know about you guys, but reading Mills and finding that Philosophy as we know it is one that is "rooted in a particular social history" has forced me to define what I believe and see as true about the condition of race today, and where I fit in the scheme of things. So in answering the question "what am I really? ” I would like to defer to the subjective identification of myself and refer to a piece that I wrote in a recent reflection. I challenge you all to do the same. Enjoy, and have an awesome spring break!

I believe that we are all kings and queens. I believe in reciprocal recognition and I hope for a new humanism.  My father did a great job of not imposing his own political views on the way I perceive the world. My relationship with my father is one that I used to feel was lacking. I would always ask myself, “Why can’t my parents be like other parents.” In retrospect, I am glad now that my parents gave me the discipline and also, the space to form my own views. Their overprotectiveness and strictness did not allow other agents to contaminate my blank slate. The only thing they asked from me was that I pray. Prayer was their answer to everything. During the times I am able to actually talk to my father, he told  me stories of how things were in Nigeria, my birthplace. Among the bedtime stories and tales of hardship, he always mentioned that our family is a royal family. I was a prince and my sisters, princesses.  Not only did he have the vibrant, heavy agbada to prove it, but also, the rituals and insights that revealed his majestic respect for life and God. I inherited his respect for human life and God in a way that guides my understanding of the new world that my family now lives in. Through the accumulation of college classes, seminars, speeches, books, stories, and sermons that I have been able to experience these past 20 years, I clearly see the social conditions, the unspoken truths, and the common sense mentalities that permeate through the world today. I see a culture were children internalize harsh words like “nigga” and “retard;” words that objectify and alienate, who’s only purpose is to eliminate an individuals right to a free human experience. I see the hegemonic structures of privilege, coercion, and consent that have lasted since the great conquest of the new world. I see attempts at raising the state of the people enacted through racial projects, education reform and an emphasis on community service as opposed to the acquisition of “chains and whips.” I have seen what happens when someone gives up their freedom for what we all understand as the root of all evil, and I wonder if there will ever be a way to live with that evil, without an infatuation with the privileges it brings.  I see changes in history, and from the movements, marches, and increasing tolerance of differences, I am able to hope. Nothing is permanent and because of that, I can believe in the idea of reciprocal recognition and hope for a new humanism. 

2 comments:

  1. Chigozie, there are two things that really stand out to me when reading your reflection. The first is your statement that you are glad your father did not impose his political views on you and the second is when you say nothing is permanent. In terms of the first, I think this is something that is overlooked. Many people grow up with parents that try to impose, or at the very least try to influence their child's views. Until the child is grown, they may not realize that was happening and sometimes people try to justify their beliefs by saying that they think that way because their parents do. You also say that nothing is permanent and it seems as if you take solace in this because it offers a sense of hope. Looking back on history and seeing how much has changed, it is safe to say that change is the only thing that is permanent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very interesting piece Chigozie! Although we were born in two different places, I see similarities in our upbringings. I grew up in a single parent household, and like your father, my mother did not impose her political views on the way I perceived the world. Of course she shared her opinions, but she gave me the freedom to develop my own perspectives. She also made sure that I had a strong religious background, and once I became a certain age, she allowed me to make the decision of whether or not I wanted to continue to have a strong relationship with God. And this relationship has continued to help me in my day-to-day decisions and the way that I overcome obstacles set in my path. I like that you said nothing is permanent, and through change, you are able to hope. The fact that so much has changed throughout history is one of the striving forces that helps me continue towards my goals. Very interesting reflection.

    ReplyDelete