Friday, March 22, 2013

The Weight We Carry

I regularly listen to a podcast called The Moth, where people tell stories about their lives.  The people are sometimes famous and sometimes not, and they generally talk on a theme.  The podcast a few weeks ago made me think of our class.  Here's a link to the story.

http://themoth.org/posts/stories/let-that-weight-go

Here's a brief summary.  It's told by Walter Mosley, who discusses his different experiences with racist language.  He tells one story about a job in a school in California where a woman said the phrase "you boys" to the group of young black men when giving directions.  One of the men becomes extremely upset, and the woman doesn't understand why.  There was a major difference in the way that the young man understood the word as a black Southerner and the way the woman understood the word.  Mosley then moves to the present, where he sees a young gay man handing out flyers.  A black man approaches, takes a flyer, and asks, "Are there going to be any bitches there?"  The man replies with something along the lines of "No, just us niggas."

Mosley is confused about how to respond to this situation.  He ultimately concludes that he does not need to confront the language because it is his own perception and not the perception of either of the other individuals that creates the problem.  This reminded me of our conversation in class the other day.  What do we do about this language?  I think Mosley is particularly interesting because he gives examples of a number of different contexts and responses, noting his own change in understanding over time.

I was asked if I would raise my children to have the same opinion about the n-word that I do.  Can I let go of my own context to help to change things?  Or would I only be perpetuating, especially as a white woman from the South, the problematic power dynamics and hatred associated with that word?  To continue our conversation: When should we step back in cases where we hear problematic language?  Should we ever?  How do we distinguish between the context?  Should we distinguish at all, or should it always be that when problematic or potentially problematic language is used, we demand clarification  and discussion?

Sorry for so many questions.  I'm interested to hear what y'all think about the situations presented by Mosley.

6 comments:

  1. Sarah, one line that really stands out to me in this post is when you say Mosley "concludes that he does not need to confront the language because it is his own perception and not the perception of either of the other individuals that creates the problem." Although I do not know the full context, this is curious to me. In a way, aren't our perceptions tangled with other people's perceptions? By that statement, Mosley seems to be advocating internalizing the confusion because he shouldn't concern others with it. I wonder what the negative implications of this might be. You ask a lot of great questions and I'm not going to pretend to have good answers to them all but I do agree that the question of what should we do when we hear controversial and problematic language is a tricky one. If we step back and not do anything, it seems we are being too passive. However, if we engage every time it seems like we are fighting battles that although on a large scale are ours, in the immediate sense our comments might be considered intrusive. I guess that is just a long way of saying I'm not really sure. Perhaps we need to find a happy median but I'm not sure what that would even mean. Of course, this is the overarching problem and why there is no clear cut solution. Also, I like that you make the point that who we are and who comments or doesn't comment influences the impact the comment has. Our perspective is not disconnected with who we are and how we appear to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you should educate your kids about the word and its history when they’re ready. If they grow up in the south, most likely they will hear the word and the only thing we can do is to teach them to not misuse the word if need be. And for the question of when we should speak up or not; I feel that there is a time and place for everything. Esha is right, if we do nothing then we seem passive, and we jump at every incident we come off as aggressive. So I think the best way is to confront people in private terms without an audience so they do not feel threatened and calmly discuss the reasons for their problematic language. While this sounds simple enough, I know it isn’t an easy task but as least it’s an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is difficult to place yourself in a situation that you may not understand to tell people they are doing something wrong. As a white woman, I do *not* feel comfortable using the N word. I was always taught that it was one of those words that especially has the ability to hurt people, thus I should not use it. When Professor Anderson in the talk said something like, "Well... when would a white person want to use the N word?" that definitely made sense to me because I really have no times when I think I could use it in any sort of positive way. Also, if there is any possibility I will offend someone, I don't see the benefit.
    I think the scenario of overhearing someone use a word is difficult. If I heard someone being blatantly racist while also using a slur, I may say something about the racism. However, in a situation where the intent is unknown, I'm not sure we can assume then try to 'correct' a problem that may not even be there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off Sarah, I love the Moth. Often times, I am eager to obscure my mostly-clandestine NPR love, but I see now we are in solidarity on this particular cultural machine. All that aside, I'd also like to site two other sources for language confusion or clarification, depending on the keenness of your ear: first, Django. Tarantino employs several different uses of the world "nigger," including solidarity and degradation. Perhaps, more interestingly, the word is even used by Foxx's character towards a white overseer, who is more than less in a position of enslavement, economic that is. In this context, the sign does not refer to race but social status. Django, being a free Black with marketable skills (a quick draw and clever tongue), is of higher social standing than the character he calls nigger. Of course, this example must call into question the other examples where the sign is used as a term of endearment or solidarity. Can the latter escape the palimpsests of the former, and should it? My answer to bother questions is no. To return to your question, context is extremely important for determining the meaning of the sign. Last night, while watching Mystery Train--a wonderful Jim Jarmusch film filmed in Memphis--I noticed a scene where a white alcohol store owner chastises a Black man for examining a bottle of wine like any good white sommelier would. Turning to Elvis, he says,"Niggers, am I right?" Elvis promptly pulls out a .38 and shoots him dead in the heart. Even in his inebriated state (maybe a bottle of Butcher's in), Elvis understood this usage as being one of race-based denigration and he responded accordingly. Now, I am not advocating this practice, but it seems like a lesser form of recognition might be in order. However, telling someone not to say a word won't change the way they think. I think it might be better to ask why they say it. Quickly, by interrogating their logic, you can more than likely destroy whatever argument they strum up. Or, maybe they walk away. But, importantly, you should not return their lack of equal recognition with an analogously paternal response, like "don't say that."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think about it this way. If you go to a culture where the n-word never existed and you introduce it as a term for friendship, then you could use it all the time and tell your kids to use it every morning when they get out of bed. Although, I can't really see that happening so that brings us back to where we are now. Educate your kids. Let them know that they live in a majority Caucasian society and what is deemed right/wrong, better/worse is all constructed to fit an ideal society. Let them grow to be their own person, not defined by the majority. Then let them decide if they will buy into the systems of privilege that exist or use them for good. I think the worse part of our educational system up through college is that they don't teach children these things. As for the n-word realize that people don’t say it in public because the "majority's" understanding of the word is still in a negative context.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely feel as though you should educate your children on the complexity of the word and the meaning when they are older and mature enough to handle the conversation. My parents made sure to start teaching me the significance of the word as a young girl because many people in my family used it in their casual, everyday language. They wanted to make a distinction between the use of the word now and the original history behind it, so that I would be able to note the difference between the two. I don't believe letting go of the context will necessarily help change things, primarily because I don't know if starting with that word is the place to start when trying to bring about change.

    ReplyDelete