Friday, February 22, 2013

I'm waiting...


Omi and Winant describe the idea of racial formation as the “sociohistorical process by which racial categories are created, inhabited, transformed, and destroyed” Maybe it’s just me, but I have yet to see any micro-level racial formations destroyed. 
I believe that we live in a world where the meaning of racist has been watered down to a somewhat meaningless definition. Before equal rights, deeming someone as racist would have been the same as calling them Hitler. Now it is so second-nature to take racism seriously that it becomes difficult to discuss the issue. Has society made our historical culture a thing of a past? What really makes racism a laughing matter? 
I believe that our cultures are starting to blend. We are beginning to accept our differences as true. As a result, People are becoming so accustomed to each other that we no longer need to patronize groups of people. 
Normally when I find error in my own actions, the first thing I do is feel pity. Pity for those I affected negatively and pity for myself. Once I learn from my wrongs I laugh on my past thinking to myself, “How could I have been so foolish?” Eventually, I calm down continue the course of my actions until the process is repeated, and it will be repeated because nobody is perfect. 
I believe that a large majority of the population engages in this same process that I do. There are still people out there that will believe that their actions are justifiable and no wrong doing has occurred-These are modern day racists. I believe that we are now approaching a social world that mostly realizes that racism is wrong. How else would comedians such as Dave Chapel, George Lopez, and Gabriel Iglesias make a living on making fun of races? 
If this is the case, then what has kept people from refraining from laughter and to accept their past as wrong? Why do we still need to reminisce on out past conduct as something comical? I mean, it really wasn’t that long ago that jokes were being made about women and their rights. But if someone were to make a joke on a woman’s role today, very few would find it funny.
This interpretation has led me to question- When, if ever, will these micro-level racial formations be destroyed?

1 comment:

  1. I think one possibly simplistic way of answering this question is that once the majority of people reproduce such that visible race lines are very obviously blurred, these clear 'races' will be destroyed. This will most likely take a LONG time, however. It's interesting because race is the only thing that can be destroyed in this way: gay people do not necessarily have gay children (despite right wing testimony) and there is no parallel for the feminist movement (though I suppose feminist parents will probably teach their children feminist theory more than others).
    As far as comedy goes, I agree that most would say racism is wrong. But that doesn't make it go away, and it doesn't make comedy routines about race an example of that. I think some comedians know how to approach social justice issues, but some are still just perpetuating things like racism or sexism through their work.

    ReplyDelete