Friday, February 15, 2013

I'll have my autonomy and a large frosty please!



I have been thinking about the objectification situation Dr. J talked about in the instance of being called a faggot at a party.  It struck a lot of thought because if I collected pennies from every time this scenario happened to me growing up, I’d own a cruise ship. I really want to attempt to break this scenario down because I think it is a great example of the existential crisis of being labeled as inferior by your peers, which applies to race, religion, sexuality, political views etc.

 I grew up with all older brothers and male cousins and being called a fag is almost part of your name.  The theme is here is typically masculinity or even hypermasculinity.  However, it really depends on the context as well, because we all became really desensitized to this behavior in my family. It was so extreme, that not being called a faggot was almost offensive.  However I could see that if some stranger came up and told that to me, my older brother would have kicked his ass.  This word is definitely a hate word in a foreign context, but in the home it was very watered down connotation. Being called a faggot on a regular basis wasn’t so much of a simple reminder to “hey, don’t grow up to be a homosexual” or “I hate you” as it was “hey, don’t be weak, don’t cry, don’t complain”. It is more of a type of in home psychological training.  So this language and demeanor strongly depends on the context which it is used I think.  “Hate words” like that have an abstract meaning that has complex psychological implications.  It could be jealousy, it could be hate, it could be situation irony, people use this word in many different ways.  However usually this type of discrimination is used to break someone down mentally and place themselves above you or vice versa.  The best way I’ve found to deal with this jab at your existence is to become resistant to the objectification.  If you know who or what you, then the are insults are meaningless.  It merely becomes a blank word. Almost like the person just mispronounced your name, and you want to kindly correct them.  It really throws people off when someone calls you that and you just smile and ask them how their day is going and if they need help with anything.  It’s a complete objectification reversal.  But with this level of resistance built up I think you do not objectify yourself and separate yourself from the situation as much.  So I think the key is not necessarily fighting back, but is rather not reacting what so ever and being completely immune to random forms of hate and attempts at social separation.

This social separation issue runs deep in human psychology I believe in the attempt to understand the self and its relation with others.  This situation could be anything, ie in Nazi Germany there were little skin color differences, but the main discrimination target was Judaism.  Thinking about it now  this seems like a really random and obscure thing to discriminate against.  As if that culture had to work really hard to find something to infantilize and make inferior. Which it seems like people that are insecure with their existence tend to make such attempts at lifting themselves above another.  Skin color just happens to be the easiest target for someone psychologically insecure with themselves to attempt separate themselves from others.  As long as people are insecure with themselves I think social structures will always attempt to form a social hierarchy, the same as it happens on the individual “calling someone a faggot” level.  Personally, as a white male I haven’t had to deal with the racial inferiority existential issue, however there is a strong masculine issue to deal with growing up that I discussed earlier.  Everyone has their own struggle with autonomy and existence.  Mine personally at Rhodes was the greek system.  It dominates the social culture here almost the same as race. Initially, as someone completely ignorant of greek life when I transferred in here my sophomore year, my first reaction was similar to the objectification crisis. I wanted to tell it to fuck off and do my own thing and rise above the inferiority of not being greek.  However I realize that there’s nothing wrong with not changing who I am for a particular social system just as black people should not attempt to change being black, but what is wrong is how you (and how I reacted) react to it I think. And to some degree I reacted to it.  Just as if someone called me faggot and I called them a faggot back. However there does appear to be some sort of hedonistic autonomic pleasure to telling domineering social systems attempting to change who you are to fuck off however.  But the real key appears to be just being above the trauma and not letting it bother you if you can’t change it.  -Meaning to not necessarily fight back either and make enemies. The best appears to lead by example and others will follow.  I think this concept applies to all forms of existential crises.  Either lead, follow or just don’t worry about something you can’t change.  

What do you guys think?

Should people fight back against domineering systems and make enemies out of them or just ignore / rise above the abuse and eventually people will see that the oppressed are happy and others will follow?

Please comment!!! :D

6 comments:

  1. I cannot agree with not fighting back, going with the flow of an outright oppressive system, shrugging your shoulders and say, "well, that's just how it is." And I don't think anyone SHOULD be comfortable in such a system. Except, of course, the beneficiaries...

    Before 1920, before the 19th Amendment, women in the US weren't full citizens. They did not have the right to vote or really participate in the democracy the US boasts of. You're telling me that you'd rather your daughter, mother, sister, aunt not count? Because if women hadn't banded together, we'd still be in the same boat.

    The same goes for Brown v. Board. We'd still be separate and (un)equal if SOMEONE hadn't thought that there could be a better situation.

    I advocate individuality. I think it's a beautiful thing to go against the current, test social norms, and do your own thing. However, to completely ignore the society and the culture that surrounds you is ignorant, and what I'd almost call lazy. Maybe I'm just really optimistic about future change, and maybe I'm alone, but it's better to be alone and proactive than lounging with the masses accepting things as they are. I believe we all stand to benefit from the over throw of patriarchy, racial profiling, and social hierarchy; even those whose pedestals will be disassembled will make gains. And for these gains, perhaps one must drop materialism and wealth from the forefront of their motives to appreciate the gains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree. I'm not saying to necesarily ignore it. But a quote I really like to use is from Isaac Newton. "Tact, making a point with out making an enemy."

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate with Tyler that terms like “faggot” and “nigga” have become colloquial in our generation, and that they can relay different messages depending on the context. Not to justify the use of these terms, but if my friends did refer to me as one of them in a joking manner because of an action of mine then I probably would laugh it off or respond with something similar. However, for that same reason I have to agree with Mallory. In the “party scenario” I could not just turn the other cheek. The idea of having to objectively observe myself because of the actions of another person is most disconcerting to me. Because I know in my case, while these terms may have been used jokingly to establish musicality; they also taught me to distinguish situations and effectively defend myself. I am not trying to promote violence but more so that some type of proactive reaction must follow outright discrimination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great points, again, I have a similar response to mallory. "Tact, making a point with out making an enemy." I don't think one can fight all the hate in the world, but can only be a light to the ones that want to see it.

      Delete
  4. Once after a Pride parade, I was walking down the street with a friend when a guy parked his car next to us, got out with his girlfriend and another straight couple, and yelled "Dyke! Dyke!" They all laughed and stared at us. A few things ran through my mind. At that point, I was a first year student at Rhodes struggling in different ways with my sexual orientation and gender expression. Although I was "out" and vocal on campus, I was in many ways terrified to be too gay. Visibly gay. That day had been a bubble of positivity and openness. It was a huge parade in DC with tens of thousands of people shouting in support of gay rights. The group from Rhodes spoke constantly about how surreal it was to be in that environment, so different from what we were used to in our everyday lives. When those people started yelling at me, the bubble burst. I was immediately terrified of my inadequacy in performing appropriate femininity and heterosexuality. In reality, it was probably the pride flag in my pocket and in my friend's hand that prompted them to yell, but the words caused me to question myself and to be hyperaware of everything I was doing and wearing and even thinking at that moment. Beyond the feeling of objectification, I was truly scared. We were basically alone on the street and we had to walk very close to the group to get to where we were going. It was a situation in which I not only felt wrong in myself and as myself but also felt that my wrongness might be the cause of a physical harm. All that is to say, while I think the idea of "rising above" objectification is nice, I also think it is almost or totally impossible. For me, being forced to question the legitimacy of your body and your existence is a kind of violence that must be addressed and denounced in order for it to lose its power.

    ReplyDelete