Friday, April 5, 2013

Race and Religion

I'm glad that our most recent presentations (both of which have been excellent) have entered religion and religious-ethnic categories into our discussion of the history and philosophy of race. Organized religion has surely played a huge role in the development of the concept of race, as well as race relations and racial strife, over the last few centuries. I am reminded of a reading that we had for Philosophy of Film last week, in which British logician and philosopher Bertrand Russell concluded that organized Christian religion has always been and still is the primary enemy of human moral progress. Without delving too deeply into Russell's argument, I would like to expand on the similarities between the way that religious beliefs and racial concepts are formed within a human being.

It seems to me that, in the same way some people are convinced and sure in their belief of God (and subsequently, his existence), people can be brought up to to be sure of those biological differences in people of varying races that we know are not scientifically true. In the same way that churches, without need for scientific or logical fact, can construct a way of thinking about the world that is largely unchangeable- one person develops the same type of race-thinking from their churches (in extreme cases, i.e. Westboro Baptist)/church members, family, friends, etc. The obvious point that I am attempting to make is that environments affect people more than we realize; the underlying point is that religious organizations control those environments- to an incredibly large extent for some, and to less of an extent for others. I do not believe it is possible to claim that, in our society, one's racial thought has not been shaped in some part by these groups, regardless of whether or not the person is an active participant in a religion.

I was affected by Rochelle's comment in class- not because I hadn't heard it before, but because this type of remark always hits home for me- when she brought up the point that Israel is largely unopposed by other countries when it comes to global matters and conflicts. Whether this is because of guilt for the Holocaust, or some other strategy, the fact is that this reality manifested itself within my psyche in my upbringing as a Jew. I had never equated my religious upbringing (Sunday School until the age of 13, then a Bar Mitzvah, then Wednesday night school at the synagogue until junior year of HS) to any type of religious brainwashing. Now I realize that while Temple Emanu El may not have been as forward as other synagogues, and even though the Jewish religion itself does not lend itself to a brainwash-y vibe (all types of questioning are encouraged), I was still affected by my religious upbringing in a way that instilled a bias for my faith- and a sort of religious hierarchy that works like a racial one. My Temple lectured us many times about the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, always with the notion that it was good vs. evil. I'm grateful for our class and what it has done to fight this bias. Has anyone else experienced similar effects from their religious upbringing? I'd be curious to know.

3 comments:

  1. I totally understand where you're coming from. I had a Christian upbringing, specifically Baptist, and coming to Rhodes has really helped me recognize different perspectives. I remember my first semester of Life, and in the beginning, I struggled a bit when it came to reading the books in the Bible and not looking at them/thinking about them from a religious perspective. I had always just taken what I was taught in the Church and believed it instead of analyzing it on my own. I still feel torn at times when I am in classes, like philosophy of race, where we dicuss topics that conlfict with religious characteristics, but I have learned to have more of an open mind. I will say that my religious faith has become stronger since coming to Rhodes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that you talked about how religion had a part in racial strife. What some people fail to realize is that back when people were trying to say blacks were not people the Hamitic curse came into play. People believed that all black people were the ancestors of Ham meaning that they were cursed and that they were to lead a life of servitude. I also grew up as a Southern Baptist and thankfully we went to a church that really did love everyone. We people of all races as well as people who were gay. My church got a lot of crap saying that we weren't a real church, but I believe that we did the most Christ-like thing and that is to love and accept all people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Henry, in your statement that "environments affect people more than we realize", you lay bare the foundation of an entire discipline of thought/study. Social psychology is the scientific study of the way in which people's thoughts, feelings, and behaviors are influenced by other people. One of the core aspects of human thought that it lays bare is what is known as the Fundamental Attribution Error or the Correspondence Bias, the tendency of individuals to overestimate how much people's behaviors and beliefs are due to internal, dispositional factors and underestimate the power and role of environmental/situational factors. Because so much of our thought processes are subconscious and automatic, we often are unable to see/understand why we consciously think and behave in certain manners. Socialization and the internalization of social roles and norms occurs at the subconscious level which is often times where subliminal racism/discrimination comes into play. Social influence can be informational or normative. In other words, we allow others to influence us and conform to them because we see them as a source of information, we believe that their interpretations are more correct than our own and offer a better guide for behavior (this seems more in line with the power of religious communities one has grown up in). The psychological processes behind social interactions are numerous and complex. The important point, however, is that the environment in which we live and the people with whom we interact work together to provide each individual with a cultural foregrounding that is both similar and yet distinct from those around him/her. Society is a product of man, and man simultaneously is a product of society.

    ReplyDelete