Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Effects of Experience on Ethnic Identification


As I read both Bernier and Kant’s thoughts on the idea and definitions of both race and ethnicity, I could but contemplate the implications such a discussion has on my own brother who is biracial. While he has both black and white ancestry, the darkness of his skin urges the superficial eyes of our society to view him as a member of the black race. This external evaluation of one’s heritage based upon placing an individual in a particular race category due to varying degrees of skin color follow both philosopher’s arguments. This practice is also consistent with both the past and current practice of our society to focus an individual’s identity around the fairly crude structure of skin color. However, shortly after my brother was adopted when he was two, my parents changed his name from a fairly non-traditional name to one which is commonly used throughout the Judeo-Christian society. Furthermore, at this young age, my brother was moved from the Urban area surrounding Baton Rouge to the suburbs of Houston. In this area, my brother was surrounded by a white neighborhood, white friends, and, quite simply, a white society. For this reason, my brother has told me that he probably identifies more with the white community than I myself do.

Because of this, I believe race as defined by Bernier and Kant is insufficient in properly categorizing cultural identifications. Thus, it is my argument that the philosopher’s definition of ethnicity best accounts for possible variations in race and cultural identification. For example, legally my brother, despite the color of his skin, is a Landolt and as such, at least on paper, he can be thought of as a member of a white family. Therefore, legally and arguably culturally, my brother is ethnically white. If this is true, ethnicity is based upon not only a legal transferal of name but also upon a changed empirical response due to a changing cultural environment. Thus, my brother is both racially black while being ethnically white. Quite honestly, I did not expect this massive diversion in definitions between these two ideas, and yet, at least to me, this seems to be the only rational conclusion based upon my existing understanding of these two terms. As such, my brother seems to exist as a complete contradiction as his race seems to come into conflict with his ethnicity, or cultural identification. This leads me to conclude that the empirical experience is integral to our understanding of ethnicity due to varying ethnic groups being formed as a result of religion and cultural identification. What are the effects of this assessment? Can race and ethnicity truly be independent of one another?

No comments:

Post a Comment